TRYOUT WEEK PLAN
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (24,25,26)
- Planning for outside. 430-630 Tryouts. Be there and READY at 425 at the latest.
- May be inside. If so, 545-745 in Aux gym. Be ready and forming by 530.
- Put gear in the 1st locker room (NOT near the entrance) in the AM.
- During tryout you can bring valuables in your bags to field. Locks to be given out Thursday. Silence your phones.
- Wear softball attire. Layer clothing for cold. Hair up. Cleats. And tennis shoes ready. Always prepare as if we will be sliding.
- I recommend your own water bottle to go along w water provided.
- Recommend bringing a quick snack after you change as you come to field. Protein bar, trail mix, etc.
- Thursday (if bad weather, will still be after school)
- Will be offers for each team given out. Earlier dismissal. Padlocks given out.
- Team rules, Admin items covered.
- Uniforms done right after school for all.
- If good weather we will go outside after uniforms till 7.
- If bad weather we will have Aux from 6-745. JV and Varsity.
- I will announce Thursday night which we are anticipating, PLAN FOR BOTH.
- March 2nd
- 430-515 JV-Varsity Players Coaches Goals Meeting
- 615pm Picture Day
- 7pm is spring parent meeting presented by AD
- After that is our team meeting
- The Athletic Fee of $150 is due at this time. For Bus Fees, Umpires, and Field dues. This is for the county, not HHS. You can make the check out to HHS though.
- March 3rd
- 1st normal day. We have either practice outside or early Aux gym. 415-6 both JV and Varsity if in Aux. If Outside Varsity is 430-630 and JV 6-8.
As you can see we have a schedule that depends a lot on the weather and field conditions. Please plan every day for BOTH no matter what is anticipated the day before. Always have indoor and outdoor attire ready.
Coach Frank, Joe, Jeff and Matt.
If you want to be added to the 2019-20 Softball group REMIND account (used to communicate in/offseason updates) please email email@example.com and ask for an invite. Please state who your child is and your relationship.
Heritage High School – In-season philosophy
For those of you who are on a travel softball team, I would like to review my philosophy regarding continuing to play on that team while you are in-season with HS softball. I have had a few girls reach out to me already and, although this is covered during the Spring Sport Meeting, I would like to provide you with my philosophy now so you can plan accordingly. Additionally, as this topic also encompasses absences, I will address that topic as well.
I understand the vital roll your travel program has played in your softball development and the commitment you have to the team. I also understand that there are important family issues that may arise during the season and that your HS studies are important too. I am not only a coach, but a father of a softball player, a travel coach, and a softball trainer, so I understand all of these aspects. That being said, you should know that if you have to miss practice or a game for any of these reasons, there will be some consequences. Not only for you, but also for the team. Every spring, high schools have to work to make 12-15 girls work together as a team and that is difficult to pull off in 3 short months, so your commitment to the team is important.
Few items to know before heading into the season:
- We are “in season” starting Feb 24, 2020. No activities the week prior, it is dead week.
- Our Varsity will practice 430-615. JV will practice from 6-730. (These may adjust slightly)
- We will have a small number of Saturday practices early in the year.
- If you cannot come to practice because you have homework/family issue, you must notify me as soon as you know.
- Attending an official school event linked to a grade will not be held against you; however, you must notify me of any conflicts at least 2-weeks in advance. Doing homework and studying does not qualify. This needs to be budgeted with your time.
- The weekends are yours but…
- When we have an in-season Saturday practice, it is NOT voluntary. It will announced early to give you time to plan.
- If your travel team is playing in a tournament on the weekend, know that HS softball comes first. You are welcome to join your travel team after any HS practice.
- Family trips are not a valid excuse to miss a practice. If you do not attend practice for this reason, it will be unexcused.
- Everything else…
- An unexcused absence, especially multiple unexcused absences, can potentially affect playing time. All absences, and any consequences, will be discussed with the player, not the team. If absences become a problem for a player, coaches will work with the player to get them back on track.
I hope this information helps as we all prepare for the HS Spring Softball Season!
Coach Frank Doering
Heritage High School Softball