If you want to be added to the 2019-20 Softball group REMIND account (used to communicate in/offseason updates) please email email@example.com and ask for an invite. Please state who your child is and your relationship.
Heritage High School – In-season philosophy
For those of you who are on a travel softball team, I would like to review my philosophy regarding continuing to play on that team while you are in-season with HS softball. I have had a few girls reach out to me already and, although this is covered during the Spring Sport Meeting, I would like to provide you with my philosophy now so you can plan accordingly. Additionally, as this topic also encompasses absences, I will address that topic as well.
I understand the vital roll your travel program has played in your softball development and the commitment you have to the team. I also understand that there are important family issues that may arise during the season and that your HS studies are important too. I am not only a coach, but a father of a softball player, a travel coach, and a softball trainer, so I understand all of these aspects. That being said, you should know that if you have to miss practice or a game for any of these reasons, there will be some consequences. Not only for you, but also for the team. Every spring, high schools have to work to make 12-15 girls work together as a team and that is difficult to pull off in 3 short months, so your commitment to the team is important.
Few items to know before heading into the season:
- We are “in season” starting Feb 24, 2020. No activities the week prior, it is dead week.
- Our Varsity will practice 430-615. JV will practice from 6-730. (These may adjust slightly)
- We will have a small number of Saturday practices early in the year.
- If you cannot come to practice because you have homework/family issue, you must notify me as soon as you know.
- Attending an official school event linked to a grade will not be held against you; however, you must notify me of any conflicts at least 2-weeks in advance. Doing homework and studying does not qualify. This needs to be budgeted with your time.
- The weekends are yours but…
- When we have an in-season Saturday practice, it is NOT voluntary. It will announced early to give you time to plan.
- If your travel team is playing in a tournament on the weekend, know that HS softball comes first. You are welcome to join your travel team after any HS practice.
- Family trips are not a valid excuse to miss a practice. If you do not attend practice for this reason, it will be unexcused.
- Everything else…
- An unexcused absence, especially multiple unexcused absences, can potentially affect playing time. All absences, and any consequences, will be discussed with the player, not the team. If absences become a problem for a player, coaches will work with the player to get them back on track.
I hope this information helps as we all prepare for the HS Spring Softball Season!
Coach Frank Doering
Heritage High School Softball